Bedbugs easily hide in clothing, luggage as well as other personal items, which is why you need to take extra care not to carry them home. In this article, we tell you what to do to ensure that bedbugs do not hitchhike to your home and how to do proper bed bug extermination.
Prevent infestation at the hotel room
- Before you bring in luggage, or other items in the room, make sure that you first do a thorough inspection on the hotel room.
- Avoid putting your baggage on the bed. Instead, put it on a tiled floor, such as the bathroom, and away from any upholstered surfaces.
- After checking the luggage stand, have your luggage kept on the stand rather than unpacking your items and emptying the contents in a drawer.
- You also need to inspect the sleeping area. Lift up each of the mattress corners and check the tufts and creases of box spring and mattress. Also look behind the headboard as well as the pillows, bed skirt and bed coverings.
- If your inspection uncovers bedbugs, inform the front desk and tell them to give you another room. You can also go to another hotel. In case you move between rooms in the same hotel, do not go to the room adjacent to the infested one as it is likely to contain bedbugs too.
- If you find signs of bedbugs, notify the front desk and ask for another room, or stay somewhere else. If you change rooms in the same hotel, make sure your new room is not next to the possibly infested room.